Jun 16, 2011

BIG Adventure. . . Chapter 8

Monday, June 13

We have arrived at Las Cruces, New Mexico and are staying one night at the Siesta RV Park.  We are working our way toward Tucson, Arizona and Tombstone.  It is very hot now that we have reached the southern part of the state again.  Steve does not want to grill out and I do not want to cook in so we will be eating out tonight!!  We traveled down I-25 from Albuquerque which follows the Rio Grande.  It is easy to see which way the river goes.  All you have to do is look for the GREEN!   Everything else is brown.  We passed by several mountain ranges on our way to Las Cruces and the pictures probably do not do them justice!  It is beautiful in its own way!

                             Evening along the Rio Grande

Tuesday, June 14

We got up very early this morning to hook up the trailer to avoid the heat.  It was 61 degrees at 6:00 am and should reach 105 degrees later today.  We had dinner last night at La Posta and took a short drive to the Riverwalk along the Rio Grande.  We are currently driving along I-10 toward Tucson and have traveled through several sections of the interstate called 'Safety Corridors'.  These sections of roadways have been designated as high crash areas and speeding fines are doubled in these safety corridors.  The speed limit is 75 mph and we don't reach that very often!!  So I don't think we have anything to worry about!  But it is a very flat and monotonous drive so I can understand the concern.  We have also passed through our first Border Patrol stop on the interstate.  There must have been 20 border patrol officers and a couple drug dogs checking all of the vehicles.  We were a little suprised that they did not look inside the trailer for illegals!  We must have looked very innocent and naive!!  



We saw these boulders at a rest stop along the I-10
in Arizona.  They seemed to be teetering on each other
waiting to fall!!

We finally reached Tucson and are staying at the Cactus Country RV Park.  We spent the rest of day antique shopping.  Tomorrow we plan to visit Tombstone, Arizona and the O.K. Corral.

Wednesday, June 15

Before we left for Tombstone I called to inquire about the fire that is burning to the west of town.  I was assured that all was well so we made the hour journey south to Tombstone.  Not only is there a fire west of town, the Monument fire, but also two fires off to the east.  I was told that these two fires have been burning for about one month but the fire to the west is the one that is causing evacuations.  The smoke billowing from the mountain peaks is very ominous looking as you can see from these pictures.


Pictures from Tombstone, Arizona


                 
              I think I'll pass!
Local stagecoach rides

Big Nose Kate's Saloon

Big Nose Kate was Doc Holliday's girlfriend in tombstone!!

Inside Big Nose Kate's
Even though it looks like Willie Nelson and sounds like Willie Nelson doesn't mean it is Willie Nelson!!

This man grabbed me by the arm and led me to the back of the saloon and motioned Steve to take a picture.  It made for a nice photo opp but was a
tad-bit on the creepy side!!!


We also visited the BOOTHILL Graveyard.

                              Courthouse Gallows                                    OOPS!!!                                        

The McLaury's were killed in the shootout at the OK Corral in Tombstone in 1881 by Doc Holliday and the Earp brothers.

Thursday, June 16

Saguaro National Park



Food of the Day????  HOTDOGS!!

Not just any hotdog. . .Tucson Sonoran Hotdogs

  
We also stopped at the. . .

They make good hotdogs, too.  And best of all, both places wrap
their dogs with BACON!!  YUM!!!

We are looking forward to moving north and getting out of this heat.  We are leaving in the morning and working our way into California towards Sequoia National Park making a couple of over night stops along the way.  I am looking forward to our overnight stop at Santa Clarita where we will be staying in a hotel.  We could both use a good soaking bath!!

So long from Tucson, Arizona!!!!!!!!!!

P.S.  Grandchild number 12 arrived today!  More info soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment