Jun 5, 2011

Big Adventure. . . Chapter 5

HELLO FROM AUSTIN, TEXAS,
the State Capital.

Sunday, June 5, 2011

We arrived on Thursday, June 2, at the Oak Forest RV Park. It has been very hot and very dry here but we are surviving and having a great time!  Our first stop was the State Capital Building in downtown Austin, then on to the Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum on Friday, June 3.  Our time left on the parking meter allowed us enough time to stop by El Mercado for margaritas and the Texas Chili Parlor for some good ole Texas chili.




We stopped here on Saturday night also for dinner and more margaritas!!


Steve had the mild chili and of course I had to try the spicy.  Wow. .  . my lips were on fire!!  Our goal was to eat at 'home' on this trip but we can't pass up some of the local flavors. 
We continued our journey in downtown Austin to the LBJ Library and Museum.  While I am not necessarily a history buff like Steve, it was actually very interesting.  I have included a picture of a replica of the LBJ Oval Office. 

After almost completely exhausting ourselves we headed back 'home'
and began to plan our next day's adventures. 
 
It was now Saturday and even though we are all about fun we, or should I say Steve, had business to attend to. . . changing the oil in the truck!!  Yes, we have gone that many miles all ready!  We spent most of the morning antique-shop-hopping and then returned 'home' for the oil change. We had dinner at El Mercado and then headed down to the Congress Street Bridge over Lady Bird Lake to see the BATS!!  It was a sight that we are very glad we decided to see.  Little did we know just how many bats we would see.  Every evening at sunset, from mid-March until November, the bats fly out from their resting places underneath the bridge.  Not just a hundred or so but rather 1.5 million Mexican Free-Tailed bats.  I know the pictures aren't the best but all of the black spots you see are bats and what looks like clouds in the background are actually 'clouds' of bats.  It was an amazing sight to see!


We began Sunday morning, June 5, visiting a cemetery. . . yes, a cemetery.  Not just any cemetery, but the Texas State Cemetery. Again, while I had my doubts I can always count on Steve to take me to interesting places!  It is the resting place for confederate soldiers, judges, governors, and those you have played a major role in Texas history.



Our last sightseeing trip was to the OASIS, a restaurant/bar at Lake Travis. 
(Thanks to Nancy's suggestion!)




Steve is so much braver than I am!!!
No way was I touching, holding, or getting close to one of these!!!
Well, it is time to say goodbye for now.  We will be leaving Austin tomorrow, June 6, and making our way to Roswell, New Mexico.  We can't make it in a day and Steve is waiting for me to shut down this blog so we can decide where we will be sleeping tomorrow night!  But before I go I just want to let you know what we truly look like in the eyes of caricature artist Robert Stolt at the Oasis.

Are we HOT or WHAT!!!!!
Stay tuned. . . . .



No comments:

Post a Comment